Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 15:32:46 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 1.7.7-jumbo 5 (problem)

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 12:06:33AM -0500, JFoug wrote:
> I have posted a patch to loader.c to return bahavior allowing john to process simple 'raw' hash files.

Thanks!  I think this will need further work, though.  Right now, the
patch "comments out" my code from 1.7.7 proper that handled hash
encodings shorter than 13 chars, and replaces it with its own code that
does not handle the special case of DES-based crypt(3) hashes with
spaces as their salt chars (invalid salts, yet supported).  I think it'd
be better to patch the existing code from 1.7.7 rather than to replace
it with a partial reimplementation.

Let's revisit this after -jumbo-5.

Alexander