Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 15:04:11 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: New directory in Jumbo tree

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 12:43:11PM +0200, magnum wrote:
> How about adding a new directory to john, a subdirectory of src (or
> maybe a parallel one) where we can put stuff like the original
> ConvertUTF.[ch] and other stuff we'd like to keep in the tree for

BTW, it is not 100% clear whether ConvertUTF.[ch]'s license is
compatible with our reuse of portions of code from there or not.
I'd prefer us not to use that code.

> reference (we'll likely copy more stuff from the UTF ones in the future)
> but that are not actually used in the build? I think Dhiru's pdf format
> has a couple of such files too, in case they are not just removed in the
> future.
>
> I'm not sure what name would be most intuitive. "sources" are ambigous
> :-) - maybe "reference"?

I like the idea.  Maybe call the directory "unused"?  I think we might
want to keep some files that would not be for reference, but would be
unused for other reasons.

Alexander