Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 09:03:41 -0500
From: "JFoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: John 1.7.7-jumbo-5

Here are some early drafts. I think most of the big stuff is there.  Magnum,
Simon and myself have been the ones that have contributed most to the
jumbo1 -> jumbo5.

Simon / Magnum,  If I have missed something, please speak up.  I think most
of the major stuff is listed (looking over the diff from J1 to J5)

Freshmeat:  (588 bytes with line breaks removed)

----------------------------
Intrinsic SSE code added (faster 64 bit).
md5_generic format: enhancements, new subformats, sped up for non SSE
builds.
-utf8 option, supports unicode in several formats, plus utf8 support in
rules engine.
MPI/OMP code added to many formats.
Structural fmt_main changes, including new 'prepare' function (simplifies
loader.c).
New formats: mskrb5, rawMD5unicode and salted_sha1.
Enhancements to markov engine.
ETA shown for inc runs, and other status improvements.
New options in unique program.
Many formats significantly improved in performance.
Numerous build and runtime issues fixed.
----------------------------

Tweet:  (118 bytes, so a 'tiny' bit more could be added)
Intrinsic SSE code (fast). Faster better md5_gen. utf8 support added.
MPI/OMP support added. New prepare() in formats.

Tweet:  (136 bytes, probably a much better tweet)
Intrinsic SSE code (fast). Faster+enhanced md5_gen. Unicode support. MPI/OMP
support. New prepare() in fmt_main. Better Markov / unique.

On the tweet, if we need to add "john-1.7.7-jumbo-5" or "jtr-jumbo5" or
something like that, then it becomes even harder to complete.  If we have to
do that, can 2 tweets be done, the first listing "John the Ripper, update
john-1.7.7-jumbo-5 just released (information to follow)"   Then the 2nd one
containing the release notice above ?   I have never sent nor received a
tweet, so I have no idea about the format or it's general usage.

I will work on a notice for Openwalls page.  It will list a lot more in
depth the changes, and list credit.

Note, that tweet was hard to do, since there is SOOO much added. Even the
freshmeat only glosses over the major changes. There are many (MANY) changes
that simply can not be listed under those restrictions.  This was a pretty
big set of changes since 177-J1.

Nothing was really listed about running the code against the new test suite,
but that in of itself, has allowed a significant improvement in flushing out
bugs, which may have been in the code for ever. The test suite at this time
is not part of john or jumbo, so is not really listed.  It may never be
'formally' included, but it is likely that it will be externally integrated
into the next jumbo, and incorporated into a set of make rules (just an FYI
on plans).

Jim.