Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 13:04:26 -0500
From: "JimF" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: John 1.7.7-jumbo-5

From: "magnum"
> On 2011-05-29 19:14, JFoug wrote:
>> Enhancements to Markov engine, adding minlevel and minlen (Simon ???)
>
> Yes that was Simon.

I have contacted him about what name to use for attribution, and have not
heard back yet.  I used Simon within the data I posted, but we may want to
make sure that is how he wants it to be.

>> ETA now working for -incremental runs. (magnum)
>
> Only until you stop and restore the job, not sure if that needs to be
> mentioned.

I saw that, but do not understand why  it can not live past a -restore.  I
did not figure that information was really needed in a release notice, and
hopefully that limitation will be able to be corrected.

>> code moved from loader.c into 'prepare()' for: LM, NT, oracle, md5_gen,
>> mscash2, mssql05, MSCHAPv2, NETLM, NETLMv2, NETNTLM, NETNTLMv2,
>> NETHALFLM (JimF)
>
> I did mssql05 ;-) but more importantly I changed the NTHALFLM/NETLM to not
> be over-promiscuos (they loaded NETNTLM-only hashes) and fixed some other
> flaws originally from loader.c

Yes, mssql05 was you, very recently, and a good addition to crack these in
the same manner that LM's help crack NTLM's.

I had copied the logic as it existed in loaded (unless I screwed up).  There
was a format or 2, that I posted comments listing that the original looked
busted, but I did not know that the 'correct' logic should have been.

>> utf8 support added to: MSCHAPv2, NETLMv2m NETNTLM, NETNTLMv2, NT,
>> mscash, mscashv2, mskrb5. mssql, mssql05, oracle, sapG (magnum)
>
> You could mention yourself too here because you helped out a LOT all the
> way from the start!

I am not overly worried about all minutia being listed.   I am just glad we
got to the quality we did.

>> Added 'common' memory image dumping functions, for flat and for MMX
>> buffers (magnum)
>
> Wasn't me! I don't even know what that is about  :-D

Must have come in with the SSEi code from Simon.  I have extended it some,
and use the hell out of it.   I do not know how I got along debugging some
of the nastier parts of problems in formats, prior to these helper functions
(especially the interleaved MMX formats).

> I think you missed these (or I missed them now, the list is long!):

No, I missed these.  There was also the change which you and Alex put
together recently, but I do not remember just what it was.  I think it had
to do with some test suite stuff taking a LONG time, in the multi-threaded
models.  But in looking over a diff file that was over a mb, I did not find
it :)