Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 19:48:27 -0500
From: "JFoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: John 1.7.7-jumbo-5

The 'plugin' format stuff is actually VERY trivial.  What it entails is
simply using a specific naming convension for formats, and that is it.

Then you do not have to perform these patches to integrate in a new format,
simply by having the name a special format, is enough.

The patches not needing done any more are:

options.c   (placing the formats name signature here).
Makefile   (adding the .o to the OBJS macro)
john.c       (struct declaration of the format)
john.c       (call to init_fmt_one() )

All of those locations used to require a patch, each time a new format was
added.  Hopefully in the next jumbo, none of those extra steps (and patch
collision nightmares) will be required any more.

That does not mean that all formats will shoehorn in nicely with john.  Some
require #define stuff, within themselves, or sometimes within other parts of
john, so that builds work properly for all environments.  But that is beyond
this threads information.

>It works without OpenMP fine
> and on OpenSSL 0.9.7m & up (tested on Owl 3.0). I will try again for
> inclusion around Jumbo-6 or Jumbo-7 :-). Thanks.

Ok, I thought this was an OpenMP only patch. If that is the case, then we
need to make sure that when built on each different compiling environment,
that it builds the way it is supposed to.  Pretty garden variety porting
stuff.  NOTE, jumbo itself requires OpenSSL, so that requirement has pretty
much been met, by the jumbo already.

I myself, have a whole slug of 'thin' formats, using md5_gen.  I also have
mediawiki, but it will likely be a thin format tied right into md5_gen.  But
all of these are on hold right now, until Solar locks down and officially
releases the code in jumbo-5.

Jim.