Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 22:13:19 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: FW: something wrong with the HDAA_fmt.c programming for 64-bit Solaris

Robert,

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 02:01:46PM -0400, Robert Harris wrote:
> for 64-bit?

It depends on your gcc package.  I don't have a Solaris system handy,
let alone with the exact same gcc package, to experiment with this now.
Basically, you give gcc the full pathname to its own include files
directory, which it was somehow unaware of because of a packaging error.

However, what you wrote below makes me think that maybe only the
MMX intrinsics header file is affected, whereas the SSE2 one is not.
So maybe it's not a lack of a proper include path this time, but rather
a lack of header file in the gcc package.

> skipping it, there are no problems with compiling JtR on Solaris 64-bit.

I guess it's the only source file that makes use of MMX intrinsics when
you're building for 64-bit.

Anyhow, I expect that you'll get better results (better performance too)
if you build a fresh version of gcc and use that, or use the "Studio".

Thanks,

Alexander