Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 10:48:02 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: FW: the jumbo-2 RC1

I will make a few changes.  I at least need to change some of the doc/*
files (like CHANGES, etc).

I know of no code changes not in there.

For jumbo-3, here is what I think we were wanting to target:

1.       Utf-8 -> Unicode  (would we also benefit from a simple but faster
ASCII -> Unicode, at some areas?)

2.       Intrinsic support for MD4/MD5/SHA1 which builds properly on proper
systems, but does not impact other builds.

3.       Possible build changes for formats listing (options.c), for formats
declaration code (john.c), and formats init code (john.c), possibly done at
the makefile level.  Also, it might be possible to have the .o inclusion IN
the makefile be auto computed also.

4.       Start to provide 'thin' formats which link into the md5_gen code

5.       Add the perl script to generate hashes (put into the ./run
directory).  Possibly split this into 2 scripts.

6.       Try to get a 'make  -test' which can use wget or some other method,
to pull test vectors / scripts, if they do not exist.   There would also be
a 'standard' patch available that could be installed by the user which would
place the testing directory into their build tree.   I think ./test  or
./tests is the standard location for test vectors, correct?    Speaking of
'standardization', shouldn't we have a Makefile in the root dir of john?

Am I missing anything, or have too many things been 'packed' into this
jumbo?    As for releasing, I think the method Solar mentioned of having
multiple jumbos released, trying to generic-ify many of the more used/wanted
patches into jumbos, and releasing them to the john-dev group, and once we
have most of the active stuff stabilized and in jumbo, then release it to
the world.  Thus, some of these 'projects' may be better to get into
jumbo-4, jumbo-5, etc, etc.

Jim.

Content of type "text/html" skipped