Date: Sun, 08 May 2011 02:54:24 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Test suite

On 2011-05-08 01:33, jfoug wrote:
> One other thing I think needs tested, is to test some formats using multiple
> 'layouts'.  An example where I have done some of this is LM.  For LM, I have
> a a file that is 'raw' 32 byte hash.  I also have a pwdump format.  There
> also might be $LM$halfhash format.

This will work, as LM is the one that always eats the 32-byte hashes (I
think we should change this - raw-md5 is a better candidate nowadays).

> Likewise, NT would have 3 formats (raw 32 byte, $NT$ and pwdump).  Some of
> the others should have multiple. This will check to make sure all code
> within the prepare function is working.

Raw hashes won't work if listed first, as LM will always get the raw
32-byte hashes. What we can do, is use at least one hash (the first)
featuring a $NT$ tag. Then (I think) the rest will be read as NT, even
if not being tagged. I know you know this, I just think out loud here.

I think the new prepare() function and alternate format self-tests
improved a lot already. Before this, we could only test the internal
format. Now, we can also have test strings for what would be in the
actual input file (applicable for eg. L0phtcrack and pwdump formats)

The pwdump-style formats too prefers LM over anything, even if given
null-string hashes. I have pending changes to several (maybe even most)
formats, but it will wait until getting prepare(). For example, the
NET*LM* formats currently supports L0phtcrack format, but ONLY if the
format is given, ie --format=nethalflm. I believe we can improve that.

For most formats that are not 32 byte hex, we should avoid using
--format= if possible, because we want to test if it auto-detects.

Anyway, I believe the new prepare()-stuff opens up for lots of
improvements. I'm very comfortable with these changes.

magnum