Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 23:09:04 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: add support for cracking RAR archive passwords [GSoC first cut]

Dhiru,

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 05:21:10AM -0700, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
> Apply the patch on top of john-1.7.7-jumbo-1. See src/drar.c for usage
> instructions. I have also uploaded the patch to the wiki
> (http://openwall.info/wiki/john/patches).
>
> As expected, speed sucks (~40 c/s) due to 256K rounds of SHA1. I
> believe that RAR archive password cracking will be perfect a candidate
> for GPU implementation (Lukas?) :-). Currently, only RAR's "-hp" mode
> is supported.

Thanks!  I tried searching the web for a sample encrypted RAR file, but
I only found this one:

http://www.philipp-winterberg.com/software/rar_faq_encrypted_password_protected_secured_files.php#faq_protected_test_file
http://www.philipp-winterberg.com/download/example_password_protected.rar

which is not supported:

$ ./drar example_password_protected.rar > pw-example_password_protected
! example_password_protected.rar : RAR -p mode support not implemented yet, more beer required

Perhaps you could create this wiki page:

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/sample-non-hashes

and upload sample files to crack to there (tiny and small ones, please)?

> I am moving on to adding support for zip archives and FileVault stuff.

Sounds great.

Thanks again,

Alexander