Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 14:24:13 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: AVX in Intel Sandy Bridge

Hi,

I just found this blog post by Dango-Chu:

http://dango.chu.jp/tripper/20110303.html

Apparently, it might be possible to achieve some speedup by mixing
128-bit and 256-bit AVX ops.  I tried many different combinations, but
not this one.  I will likely give it a try.

Also, yes, the DES code currently in JtR probably doesn't fit in Sandy
Bridge's micro-op cache, but unlike with P4's trace cache this is not a
performance hit (compared to older CPUs) but rather lack of a potential
speedup.  It is unclear how much of a speedup could be possible with
smaller code, if at all - we'd have to pay for that by omitting some
other optimizations.

Alexander