Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 21:19:20 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: john scalability

On 2011-03-27 01:13, magnum wrote:
> Maybe this was all moot but I learned a lot. The format that needs this
> most (apart from NT) is probably raw-sha1, and this is taken care of by
> intrinsics-2.

After testing with some real-life data I take that back. I got a very
significant boost even for some sets of salted hashes I had archived. I
am amazed how some people manage to misuse a perfectly good sized salt.

So here it is, suggested for the Jumbo. This patches all formats that
had only three sizes (except AFS), extending them to have five.

The bunch of formats that does not have *any* hash functions, are not
fixed here. I suppose some of them should be looked at - especially
unsalted ones like mysql. But that is an ancient type of mysql, isn't it?

Many of the formats in this patch will not likely ever benfit from the
larger sizes but I can't see how this would ever do any harm either.

magnum

View attachment "john-1.7.6-jumbo-12-hash_sizes.diff" of type "text/x-patch" (19336 bytes)