Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 10:11:00 +0100
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: john scalability

On 2011-03-24 02:59, Solar Designer wrote:
> I'd appreciate it if you submit this fix as a separate patch (on top of
> jumbo), _not_ including the UTF-8 stuff into the same patch.  I might
> want to put out a "stable" version first.

Even when including the UTF-8 stuff, you could/should use "#ifdef
FMT_UTF8" (this is defined by the UTF-8 patch) in the assembler files,
for a version that optionally keeps that bitshift optimisation.

Later, I/you/we might end up with UTF-8 aware code that still use the
optimisation when the --utf8 option is not used. I really try to avoid
performance impacts when not using it. Though I guess this means having
(yet another) two of each arch-dependant function. Maybe the speedup is
not worth it?

thanks
magnum