Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 09:23:27 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Changing --markov[=LEVEL[:START:END[:MAXLEN]]] to --markov[=SECTION]

Since markov is a jumbo addition, then worrying about john changing versions
to 1.7.7 should not impact its direction of development.

I see pro's and cons for both methods.  I actually think allowing multiple
john.conf subsections for different markov setups is a good idea.  However,
as is, nothing beats simply typing new params on the command line.

I think if ALL markov params were command line syntax switches, or all
params were in a single john.conf section, then things would be better. As
we have it today, we have some params on the command line, and some set
globally in john.conf.  Thus, as Frank is posting with his query, it is not
ideal.

Jim.