Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 10:56:33 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: Colin Percival <cperciva@...snap.com>
Cc: crypt-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: using scrypt for user authentication

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 03:25:16PM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> Trying to see how much further we can go by replacing Salsa20/8 with
> something else (or simply reducing the number of rounds), I tried
> placing a "return 0;" at the start of salsa20_8().  With this, I am able
> to fit 64 MB in 100 ms.  Not that much of a change. :-(

Correction: once I've excluded some overhead and system time from my
measurements, I am able to go to 256 MB with salsa20_8() NOP'ed out, yet
stay under 100 ms.  I am not sure if avoiding the system time would be
possible in actual use, though - I just presume that it might be.

This is (2^18, 8, 1) with salsa20_8() NOP'ed out on E5649 (2.53 GHz):

real    0m0.240s
user    0m0.080s
sys     0m0.159s

At 2 rounds of Salsa20 (instead of 8), I am still only able to go for 64 MB:

(2^16, 8, 1), 2 rounds, same CPU:

real    0m0.124s
user    0m0.087s
sys     0m0.037s

(2^15, 8, 1), 8 rounds (default), same CPU:

real    0m0.121s
user    0m0.100s
sys     0m0.020s

I also did some testing with other values of r, with higher p, with
"#pragma omp parallel for" for the p loop, and with concurrent instances
(without parallelization within the instances) - for up to 24 (this
machine has two E5649's, so 12 cores, 24 logical).

As expected, scalability is quite poor, except at relatively low working
set sizes (such as fitting in the 12 MB L3 cache).  I don't have time to
properly process and post all of the results right now.

I was compiling the SSE2 intrinsics code for x86-64 using gcc 4.6.2 with
"-march=native -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer".

Alexander