Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 04:52:38 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: announce@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: [openwall-announce] JtR jumbo via Ubuntu Store; Hash Suite 3.4

Hi,

This is to announce two items:

1. Due to effort by Claudio Andre, it is now possible to install recent
JtR jumbo on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS as a snap package via Ubuntu Store:

sudo snap install john-the-ripper

Claudio's full announcement:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2016/06/14/1

As a curiosity, the same binaries from the snap package happen to work
correctly on Windows 10 (but we do not currently have them packaged up
for Windows):

https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/2118#issuecomment-225455551
https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/1702923/15993386/d3dd434c-30ba-11e6-98c6-0ceb2a77d3f9.png

2. Alain Espinosa, who also contributes to JtR, has recently released
Hash Suite 3.4, an update to this mostly non-free password cracker for
Windows.  This version adds "fingerprint" attack mode:

http://hashsuite.openwall.net/tutorial#fingerprint

and besides at this time it may be world's fastest md5crypt cracker,
showing some really impressive speeds at this hash type on both CPU and
GPU.  Hopefully, John the Ripper and oclHashcat will catch up soon.

Hash Suite releases are normally announced on its website and via
Twitter @HashSuite.  I refrain from announcing Hash Suite for Windows
releases in here on their own (when I don't have something else to
announce at about the same time, as I do for the snap package now).
On the other hand, I will likely be announcing Hash Suite Droid (a
version for Android) updates in here, since that's free software.

Alexander