Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 09:35:29 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: announce@...ts.openwall.com, owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: [openwall-announce] Owl-current 2012/08/18 snapshot

Hi,

A new snapshot of Owl-current is available, including all the usual
components: ISO images, OpenVZ container templates, binary packages for
i686 and x86_64, and full sources:

http://www.openwall.com/Owl/

The only non-conservative change that we included this time is Vasily
Kulikov's update of binutils to a fresh upstream version, which required
some tweaks in various packages (now included in our tree, so full Owl
rebuilds work seamlessly).  Thanks, Vasily!

This mostly conservative update of Owl-current is a precursor to a
similar update to 3.0-stable (except for the binutils upgrade and some
other things), and to more aggressive changes in Owl-current (some of
which have already been prepared by Vasily, just not committed yet).

Besides the binutils update, other changes since the previous set of
ISOs and templates (May 8, 2012) include a further minor update of the
Linux/OpenVZ kernel to latest "testing" version in OpenVZ's RHEL5-based
branch (with our usual changes on top of that), new versions of tcsh,
xinetd, and OpenSSL (the latter two with minor security fixes), and
minor changes to many Owl packages (too minor to be listed in
CHANGES-current, although their combined size is non-negligible).

As usual, significant changes are documented in CHANGES-current:

http://www.openwall.com/Owl/CHANGES-current.shtml

whereas smaller changes are documented in the packages' changelogs only.

While at it, I generated some new screenshots demonstrating basic OpenVZ
functionality on Owl:

http://www.openwall.com/Owl/screenshots#OpenVZ

Maybe this will help someone get started with OpenVZ.

Stay tuned for the upcoming invasive changes (hardened RHEL6'ish kernel,
new glibc), although an update to Owl 3.0-stable will likely come out first.

Alexander