Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 08:06:46 +0300
From: Solar Designer <>
Subject: [openwall-announce] new libc for Linux; JtR 1.7.6-jumbo-12

I realize that these announcements became more frequent this month.
In case anyone in here wants to unsubscribe but does not know how, this
can be done by going to:

entering your subscribed address, and clicking the Unsubscribe button.
You'll be required to confirm this request via e-mail as instructed.
Alternatively, you may check the "full" headers of any message arriving
to you through the list.  The List-Unsubscribe header gives you the
address to e-mail to get unsubscribed (you'll be required to confirm
this with a second message as well).  As a last resort, please reply to
this message and ask me to take you off the list.  Similar procedures
work for other Openwall mailing lists as well.

Now to the news:

1. There's a new lightweight libc (standard C library) for Linux-based
devices.  It's called musl.  This is a project of Eta Labs rather than
Openwall, yet we're pleased that musl supports our /etc/tcb/*/shadow
files natively:

Comparison against other C libraries:

Openwall's alternative password shadowing scheme, which musl supports,
and info on its advantages:

2. John the Ripper 1.7.6-jumbo-12 is out.  This revision corrects the
"generic MD5" self-test bug (introduced in -jumbo-10).  It also enhances
the MSCash and MSCash2 OpenMP parallelization to adjust the number of
key slots according to the number of threads.

The release is available both as a tarball ready to be compiled:

and as a patch against 1.7.6:

More info on the changes, and new MSCash and MSCash2 OpenMP benchmarks:

Enjoy, and please stay tuned.

By the way, these news items were also tweeted: