Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 14:51:07 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com, announce@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: [openwall-announce] Nmap 5.00; new Owl ISO

Hi,

Nmap 5.00 has been released earlier this week, and we got it into
Owl-current (on the release day, in fact).  This is a major new version
of Nmap, featuring things such as Ncat (an even more powerful remake of
the famous netcat tool, which we previously had represented in Owl with
OpenBSD's remake) and Nmap Scripting Engine (NSE).  You may try out the
latter by running "nmap -A -T4" against a host.  Please check out the
official release announcement here:

http://nmap.org/5/

Question/poll to the users: now that we have Nmap's Ncat, should we keep
OpenBSD's netcat (invocable on Owl as "nc") in Owl as well or should we
drop that?  In general, with few exceptions, Owl has been avoiding
duplicate functionality in the official "base system" so far.  Please
comment on owl-users.

We have also released a new ISO-9660 image of Owl-current (for 32-bit
x86 this time), including Nmap 5.00 (with our usual changes for
privilege reduction and with some post-release fixes) usable right off
the live CD (as well as installable indeed).  Besides Nmap 5.00, other
updated packages since the 2009/07/07 ISO include chkconfig, Postfix,
and the DHCP suite.  The new ISO is already available under
/pub/Owl/current/iso (or equivalent) on most of our mirrors:

http://www.openwall.com/Owl/DOWNLOAD.shtml

-rw-r--r--    1 ftp      ftp      441708178 Jul 18 18:06 Owl-current-20090718-i586.iso.gz

Alexander

P.S. Those curious what we're patching in Nmap 5.00 may gain this secret
knowledge here:

http://cvsweb.openwall.com/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/Owl/packages/nmap/