Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 06:33:54 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: announce@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: updated Owl-current SPARC and Alpha binaries available

Hi,

After a long delay, we're continuing to do Owl builds for SPARC.  This
is made possible due to the generous donation of a 400 MHz Ultra 5 box
to the project, thanks to Brett Eldridge of Atomic Gears LLC.  I've
setup a donations page which will list people who have contributed to
the project with donations (in whatever form) and explain how one may
donate to the project:

	http://www.openwall.com/donations/

The up-to-date Owl-current SPARC binary packages just went to the FTP
mirrors.  There were certain SPARC-specific fixes which were needed to
get all of our packages to build on SPARC again, and some which aren't
specific to Owl will be rolled back into official trees of software we
package (OpenSSL, strace).  (In fact, the OpenSSL shared library build
fix for linux-sparc* already went in.)

At the moment, only the plain sparc packages are being made available.
Those who want to get the most out of their Ultras may build sparcv9
packages after having installed the plain sparc ones.  Once we make a
release, pre-built sparcv9 packages will likely be included as well.

At the same time, new alphaev56 packages have been uploaded to the FTP
mirrors, too.

I am planning to be updating the SPARC and Alpha binary snapshots of
Owl-current about every two months.  These builds are currently done
offline, which also lets me PGP-sign the snapshots (which we currently
don't do for the constantly built i386 ones).

If there's a critical fix applied to Owl-current and a new snapshot
isn't coming, it is always possible to rebuild the relevant packages
from the new source trees.

--
/sd