Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 11:58:52 +0400 (MSD)
From: Solar Designer <solar@...se.com>
To: announce@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: John the Ripper v1.6.19-dev

Hello,

I am starting to make current development versions of John the
Ripper, a password cracker, available to the public.  (No, I'm not
going to post here about every minor update to the development
versions.  This is just to announce that they will be available.)

The current development version offers significant performance
improvements over the v1.6 release, but no documentation and charset
files are provided, and more testing is needed.

The location is as usual:

	http://www.openwall.com/john/

The following major changes have been done since John v1.6:

* Two MD5 hashes at a time for extra ILP on RISC: up to +80% on Alpha EV5.
* Significant improvements to the generic bitslice DES code: +20% on RISC.
* Bitslice DES code for x86 with MMX: twice faster on Intel MMX.
* Bitsliced the LM hash code as well: now several times faster.
* First attempt at vectorization support for bitslice DES.
* System-wide installation support for *BSD ports and Linux distributions.
* AIX and DEC C2 files support in 'unshadow'.
* New make targets for Linux/PowerPC, FreeBSD/Alpha, SCO (ELF only).
* Bug and portability fixes, and new bugs.

Signed,
Solar Designer