Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 09:00:41 +0400 (MSD)
From: Solar Designer <solar@...se.com>
To: announce@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: crypt_blowfish-0.2.tar.gz

Hi,

I've just released my implementation of a modern password hashing
algorithm, with both the crypt(3) and a reentrant interface.  The
code comes from John the Ripper password cracker, and is placed in
the public domain.  You can find more information and download the
package here:

	http://www.openwall.com/crypt/

>From the README:

You can use the provided routines in your own packages, or link them
into a C library.  I've provided hooks for linking into GNU libc 2.1,
but it shouldn't be too hard to get this into another library.  Note
that simply adding this code into your libc is probably not enough to
make your system use the new password hashing algorithm.  Changes to
passwd(1), PAM modules, or whatever else your system uses will likely
be needed as well.  These are not (yet?) a part of this package.

Signed,
Solar Designer